Breaking free from a Crush on an Old relationship

You are here: Home Forums Love & Relationships Marriage Breaking free from a Crush on an Old relationship

• Creator
    Topic
  • #1250 Reply

God Loves Me
    Participant
    @god-loves-me

How to you overcome or break free from a “CRUSH” on an “EX” or “FIRST LOVE”.  A few friends have asked me for advice. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break free?

Is it true its all just chemical reaction or there is more?

Why is this is now common with married couples today?

• Author
    Replies
  • #1258 Reply

Wumi
    Peacemaker
    @wumi

This is a sensitive one, no doubt. Some questions might also help to put this in perspective: Is it a guy asking this question or a lady? Who initiated the breakup with the ex? And most importantly, is the ex doing anything to trigger this feeling or is it just some inner battle (but something always triggers these things)?

My advice to such a person would be:

• Pray to God for help to get over the crush.Remember: “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13
    • Talk to someone about it – a trusted friend, your pastor, counselor, anyone you respect and can be objective and plain (even hard) with you. You need this support.
    • Stay away from the temptation. Stop feeding the fire. You [may] need to take some harsh steps: delete the ex’s number, unfriend or block on social media, stop the calls and chats. I know someone who broke her SIM and changed her number in order to break away from a pest. Do all to create and stretch the distance between you. Out of sight, out of mind.
    • Make up your mind. Know what you want and stick with it. Nothing you do, no advice you get will help you until you convince yourself why you shouldn’t sin or do anything to hurt your marriage and family.
    • Stay alert and keep praying to God for strength.

Chemical reactions can happen but we can control ourselves by God’s grace. On why this struggle is common among married couples nowadays… a sign of the end-times?

Reply To: Breaking free from a Crush on an Old relationship
Your information: